NFPA Fire Loss Statistics
Since 85% of all civilian fire deaths occur as a result of a home fire, residential safety initiatives remain the key to reductions in the overall fire death toll.
Recommended Fire Safety Initiatives:
- Additional widespread public fire safety education on how to prevent fires and avoid serious injury or death if a fire occurs.
- Information on the common causes of fatal home fires should continue to be used in the design of fire safety education messages.
- Proper installation and maintenance of smoke detectors.
- Development and practice of escape plans.
- Wider use of residential sprinklers.
- Make home products more fire-safe, like child-resistant lighters and cigarettes with reduced ignition strength.
- The wider use of flame retardant upholstered furniture and mattresses.
- Meet special fire safety needs of high-risk groups, such as children, older adults, the poor, and people with disabilities.
Key Findings of NFPA Fire Loss Report